Nothing says spring time like fresh berries! The most common selections are strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Whether sweet or tart, the vibrant colors make a great treat for breakfast lunch or dinner. Berries are normally purchased in bulk so there are times that all of them aren’t eaten which means waste. So to eliminate waste, here are five ways you can get full use out of all the berries.
1. Parfaits: If you’re always on the run but need a quick breakfast, the parfaits can be made in advance. All you would need is yogurt, granola, and fresh berries. Not only are parfaits great for you but it’s a great way to get your kids to have a balanced breakfast and eat fresh fruit.
2. Salads: Nothing says healthy eating like a salad full of flavor and color. There are numerous salads that can be made with berries only or a green salad with some berries. You can even make a pleasant vinaigrette dressing to top the green salad.
3. Smoothies/Shakes: You can make a healthy breakfast triple berry shake with strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, ice, milk, and sugar to taste. My preference would be a good strawberry shake alongside a cheeseburger with onion rings.
4. Condiments: Make a jelly or jam that can be easily used for toast and biscuits. I love strawberry jam on homemade buttermilk biscuits fresh out of the oven. Mixed berry jelly is good, too.
5. Compote: If the berries are starting to go bad you can easily make a fruit compote. Any kind of compote is perfect for waffles, French toast, pancakes, oatmeal, pound cake or ice cream. My kids love blueberry compote on pancakes. I enjoy strawberry compote on pound cake served with vanilla ice cream.